I found this craft on Pinterest, and I knew I HAD to do this for our house.
So, I started saving the milk cartons in August, and it paid off well, we had more than we needed, lol.
I started off with just eight milk cartons, but then added two more to accommodate the second part of the project that I impromtued in.
Your cartons will need to be empty and washed.
Using a Sharpie, or other black marker, draw on the outline of the face you want. I used the side of the milk jug that had a flat surface, the other three all had indentations somewhere on them.
Then, if your child is old enough, allow them to color in the lines. I skipped that and did it myself since Tot would be more likely to color something other than where we wanted.
I did a face for each emotion and we played with the ghosts for a few days before finishing the project. Tot was great at being able to identify what emotion they had, and could point out or say each one I asked for.
More emotions.
Her favorite ghosts were these two. She loved the Happy and the ICKY (her word for scarey) ghosts.
After you have the faces drawn, cut a small hole in the back. I didn't bother cutting it all out, just enough to bend and fold in.
Then you'll need to string your lights through the holes in the back.
I used white icicle lights because it allowed for more lights in each carton with less string, and also because I had some with white cords, and all my others were green corded. I wanted the cord to be less visible within the cartons so this worked out perfectly!
I found I had to have the occasional light outside, but most of them fit in rather well.
Here is my little addition. These little pumpkin stakes to finish off the tops of the ghosts that would otherwise be open milk cartons.
The pumpkins wouldn't stay upright on their own, though, so I used the yoguart cup lids with holes through the middle to balance them on top.
Here they are setup on our porch, leading to our front door. As you can see the overall effect is wonderful, and the lids are barely visible.
And all lit up and night!
They were so simple and cheap to make, but have a lovely holiday effect!
What crafts have you done this year?
3 comments:
What a GREAT project!!! They turned out so cute! :D The pumpkins on top just made it complete.
I like yours even more than the ones on Pinterest!
Showed Grandma. She said they were darling and agreed that the pumpkins really just set them off well. She said that was a really good way to teach emotions too. :D
Post a Comment